As of today, Town Hall remains closed to public access as we comply with COVID safety protocols and seek to keep you and our employees safe. We have no public office hours.
- Please mail tax payments early, remembering that payments must be received by 5pm October 15 to avoid the 8% penalty on unpaid taxes, and interest, as voted each year at Town Meeting.
- If you prefer to make your payment in person, there is a secure drop box at the front of town hall which is checked several times a day.
- When making your payment, enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope and we will mail you a receipt.
- Postmarks are not accepted as on time payment; postdated checks are not accepted and will be mailed back regardless of the day they are received.
- If you have questions about your homestead filing or property tax credit, please contact Vermont Taxpayer Services at (802) 828-2865
We can be reached at (802)785-2922 ext 190.
The town treasurer is keeper of the town’s financial accounts. The treasurer invests town money, keeps a record of taxes voted, and pays bills when orders to do so are properly submitted. The treasurer interacts with other town officials to ensure that the town finances run smoothly and is responsible for all funds collected, allocated to and disbursed by the various departments and entities that exist within the municipality. Current tax collection, current payroll and employee benefits are also administered through this office.
The accounting firm of Sullivan and Powers audits the town financials each year. The Town Of Thetford is compliant with the requirements of the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
Tax payments are due by 5:00 pm. on October 15. Postmarks are not accepted.
|Town Tax Rate||0.8111|
|Education Homestead Tax Rate||1.9808|
|Education Non-Residential Tax Rate||1.7684|
|Town & Education Homestead||2.7919|
|Town & Education Non Homestead||2.5795|
|Town Budget is Calendar Year: January -December|
|School Budget is Fiscal Year: July 1, 2020-June 30, 2021|
|Tax bills calculated on Grand List Value (1% of assessed value)|
|For Example: a $100,000 assessment|
|100,000*1% = $1000 the Grand List Value|
|$1000 x Homestead Tax Rate of $2.7919=$2,791.90 tax bill|
|Penalty on unpaid taxes is a one time 8% charge on 10/16|
|Interest is 1% for October and 1.5% November forward|
|Homestead Late Filing Penalty =8% of the Education Tax ONLY|